Saturday 12 November 2011

EIGHT WEEKS TO GO: FOOD AND FITNESS


The fundraising pot continues to move in the right direction (up), so keep those monies rolling in.  If you are wondering where the money is going, I’ll be covering the cost of my flights, insurance, immunizations, visa and so on.  I will also be taking my own tent which will be my home for the majority of my time in Madagascar.

Currently Azafady as a charity spends about 90% of its total income in pursuit of its charitable aims. Only a very low 10% goes on administration costs.  Presently 100% of Pioneers' donations go straight out to Madagascar to run both the organisation and the projects of which I will be a part.  Roughly 10% will be used to cover project costs such as food and transport, so that equates to about £200, or less than £3 a day during my time as a Pioneer.  

I have been forewarned that the menu will consist of rice and beans, rice and beans, rice and beans and so on.  My parents who know that I love my food and dining out (even if they cannot quite understand the level of my devotion) do have some concerns about how I will cope.  I on the other hand look at it as enforced dieting to lose the stone I have gained in the UK – a work hazard from spending the last 18 months or so tied to a desk with a never ending bounty of biscuits within arm’s reach.

I have also been ramping up my gym attendance (from nil to twice a week – I have to start somewhere) to ensure I am fit enough to do whatever is required in Madagascar, be it planting trees, building schools, solving health and sanitation issues and working with the local communities to tackle problems they have brought to Azafady’s attention.  I suspect the whole experience will be like boot camp, and I will be much fitter when my time as a Pioneer is over.

It ain't going to be easy, but it will be worth it to do my bit for Madagascar. There are more orchids on the island than on the whole continent of Africa and 5 of the 6 sea turtle species in the world are found in its waters.

No comments:

Post a Comment