Saturday 5 November 2011

NINE WEEKS TO GO: MY FLIGHTS ARE BOOKED


My first week of fundraising has gone really well with £510 raised (just over 25% of my target) so a huge thank you to everyone who has donated so far.  For everyone else, remember every penny (or cent) counts so please get cracking by clicking on that link to the right.  Profile raising is every bit as important as fundraising, so if you are not in a position to donate money, please think about donating your contacts by emailing the URL for this blog to everyone you know, or by sharing this blog on your Facebook page.

You can be confident your donation will be put to good use.

Azafady has received endorsements from both Sir David Attenborough and The Duke Primate Institute for its efforts in the field of conservation. It has also received a Whitley Foundation award for human rights and conservation, given to it by HRH Princess Anne.

Madagascar is a special place, an island twice the size of Britain and the only natural home of lemurs and the rosy periwinkle (an effective cure for childhood leukaemia).  Who knows what else is still to be discovered…

I am certainly looking forward so seeing a few of those lemurs in their natural habitat and have had a busy week booking my flights and raiding the last of the camping store sales racks for cotton shirts and “mosquito resistant” clothing – although I am curious to see how a knee length dress will stop the mozzies feasting on my delicious ankles.  I am seriously considering wearing hiking boots and knee high socks for the full duration of my three month stay.

In the past week, I was also delighted to say hello to November and good bye to Ocsober!  This was celebrated in a surprisingly civilized manner by a drink at my local (I had to have a Guinness as shockingly it was out of real ale) followed by some lovely white wine and a meal at Loch Fyne.

I have also started a “to do” list of all items I need to buy and things I need to do in the next nine weeks.  It is shaping up to be a very long list so I had better get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment