Sunday 27 November 2011

SIX WEEKS TO GO: HOW MUCH CAN ONE GET IN ONE'S BACKPACK?

In the past week, I have read my survival guide from front to back and I am starting to get down to the nitty gritty and thinking about what to take to Madagascar.  I have a list (one of many) and it is very, very long.  I am not sure how on earth the listed items will all fit into one backpack, let alone when you factor in a few kilos of kit Azafady needs to get down to Fort Dauphin.

I was given a journal for Christmas by my parents and have started writing in the important things: blood type, travel insurance details, emergency contacts…  I have also got in touch with my fellow Pioneers, so it is all getting quite real and exciting.
                                                                                                                                   
The population in Madagascar is 19.1 million, and is projected to double every 15-20 years.  This links back directly to the people's abject poverty.  Madagascar’s national debt is $2.054 billion. Although a considerable amount (roughly 50%) of Madagascar's debt has been written off since 2004, prevailing debt repayments of more than $50 million a year mean that only very small amounts of government funds are channelled into health and education spending.

Hence, organisations such as the World Bank and IMF are relying on organisations such as Azafady to provide health care and education. Unfortunately many of the larger charities, such as War on Want, Christian Aid and Oxfam do not work in Madagascar.

Your donation will be put to good use, so please give what you can spare and spread the message by sharing this blog with your contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment