Sunday 20 November 2011

SEVEN WEEKS TO GO: INSURANCE, DOCTORS AND DFAT


The deadline for raising my minimum donation has been confirmed as 16 December, so if you have been meaning to make a donation, now is the time.  For those in or around Reading, I will also be selling raffle tickets and have some really cute Christmas cards – featuring lemurs! – that could be exchanged for a donation.

In the past week, I:
  • sorted my travel insurance;
  • got around to making an appointment with a travel doctor which I realize, in hindsight, should have been the first thing I did.  Whoops.  I have also been pricing the malaria prophylaxis and all I can say is I wish I was selling it.  My goodness;
  • registered with Australia’s Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade.  Granted it has been 4 years since I left Australia, but as they say, better late than never and given I will be in Madagascar during cyclone season, it seemed timely.
 The island is regularly hit by the same cyclones that hit Mozambique but it never gets the same media attention. 

Madagascar has suffered around 90% deforestation (estimated by Conservation International) and tragically, the majority of the island’s unique plants and animals are forest dependent and therefore greatly affected.

Azafady has been voted president for the Regional Committee of the Environment in
Madagascar, advising the government on matters of environmental consequence for an
area the size of England.

If you would like to learn more about Azafady and the Pioneer program, follow this link and watch a video or two: http://www.youtube.com/user/AzafadyMadagascar

No comments:

Post a Comment