Saturday 3 December 2011

FIVE WEEKS TO GO: MY ITINERARY

There is less than two weeks to go to reach my fundraising target so please donate your moolah and/or your contact list.  For those in or around Reading I have a bit of spare time so I could walk your dog, clean your car or partake in a bit of gardening or painting in exchange for a donation – make me an offer!

This has been a big week.  I had the first of my 5 jabs on Monday, and can’t wait to get another two Monday coming.  The very exciting news is that I received my draft itinerary.  I will be spending a few days helping out at the Azafady Tree nursery with the ex-situ conservation of critically endangered plant species.  Later in the program I will be spending a week or so working with the community of Mahialambo to make stoves from clay and zebu poo.  These stoves are really important as when compared with open stoves there is a reduced fire risk and being more fuel efficient, less fuel (wood) is needed which protects the forests.  See these links for more information: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc6YTVz3_uw, http://azafady.us/blog/?p=693

But the project most of my time will go to is the completion of a school in the rural commune of Mahatalaky.  There is an obvious need for education facilities in both rural and urban areas of Madagascar. In the Mahatalaky and Labako communes combined there is only one middle school (Mahatalaky CEG) serving 26 primary schools. At this moment in time, Mahatalaky CEG has no premises of its own and so the local community approached Azafady NGO to help them build four school buildings, a latrine and a well to provide safe drinking water.

The CEG has four year groups with students typically ranging from 11 to 15 years old, however often the year groups can be mixed with ages from 10 to18 due to many people starting education late because of other commitments such as helping family businesses.

My job will be to help build one school building with two rooms in Mahatalaky. This will be the final building in the year long project to build the new CEG and it is expected that my group will have the honour and privilege of being in Mahatalaky when the CEG is handed over to the community.  I get a bit teary just thinking about it, so expect I will be a right mess on the day.  I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment