Friday 9 December 2011

FOUR WEEKS TO GO: LAST CHANCE TO DONATE

There is only one week to go to reach my fundraising target of £2,000 (by 16 December), so if you have not yet donated your pennies or cents or spammed your contacts with a link to this blog, please do so now.  If I have not given you enough reasons already, here is a bit more about where your money will go.

In Madagascar, 1 in 10 children die before the age of 5 as a result of what are largely preventable diseases such as cholera.  In rural areas 71% of people have no access to safe drinking water.

Through Azafady’s work last year alone it: 
  • gave access to clean drinking water to approximately 4,000 people by building wells
  • gave access to basic health care to at least 10,000 people
  • planted thousands of trees 
  • assisted in the creation of numerous gardens and small income generating industries in over 5 villages.
In the past week, I had two more needles, one in each arm. So I ended up with two sore arms and no lollipop.  I did however get my prescription for anti-malarial tablets.  Faced with the unattractive options of: 1) blistering in the sun; 2) risking a psychotic episode (which granted should it happen, would probably bother those around me rather than the psychotic version of me); 3) paying £2.28 per day for tablets; I went with option 3 as it would seem money can buy health.  It is not lost on me that one malaria tablet will cost more than the food I will consume during my average day in Madagascar.

I have also started packing (setting aside may be the more correct term).  Stock cubes, head torch, journal – check.  The big item I am missing is a tent.  I had better go and make some progress on that front…

No comments:

Post a Comment