Thursday 29 December 2011

ONE WEEK TO GO: THE FINAL COUNTDOWN

At around this hour in only six days time, I will be leaving home, back packs on front and back and dragging another 20kg bag with wheels through the streets of Reading.  My packing skills are not quite as bad as they sound as the last bag is to assist Azafady in getting essential equipment to Madagascar.  Fortunately it is not too long a walk to the bus, and then it is a direct trip to the airport.

As I spent five of the last seven days in Germany, I cannot claim to have done much in the way of preparations in the past week.  But I did manage to:
  • Go to the dentist.  I won’t commit to writing how long it had been between visits, but no dramas are anticipated teeth-wise in the next three months and I have now added floss to the “to pack” list.
  • Conduct various successful patch tests on myself - 50% DEET mozzie spray is fine by me and even a few of the band aids seem to be okay.
  • Drag out a camping lamp and sleeping mat (eek, it’s bigger than I remembered) from under the stairs, where I also found my thongs (flip flops for those in the UK) which was just as well since I have been looking in the shops and there are none on the shelves.
I was also delighted that my various mail order goods fit through the letter slot and were waiting for me on my return. 

It has been a bit chilly (icy when the wind is up) in both the UK and Germany, so I am pleased to report that the current temperature in Fort Dauphin is in the 20s, day and night.  Bring on summer!  And on that note, I must go and chase up those adventure sandals…

No comments:

Post a Comment